Building Surveys

A home is likely to be the most expensive purchase most people ever make. As an owner you will benefit from expert advice on the condition of your property – whether you plan to live in it, rent it out or sell it on.

Robson Walsh Chartered Surveyors can assist – whatever the style, size, or age of the property, we can offer a Building Survey report or the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Homebuyer Report.

Building Surveys Report

A Building Survey report (formally known as a Structural Survey report) is a comprehensive, specialised and individually prepared report which is suitable for all residential properties. It provides detailed information in respect of the construction, condition and both minor and major repairs, together with a commentary on locational, environmental and other relevant aspects.

It is advisable to have a Building Survey if the property you are considering buying is relatively large or of unusual construction, has been extended or altered, or where an extension, alteration or renovation is planned. It would also be appropriate for properties which are older, require modernisation or are in an obviously poor or dilapidated condition.

A Building Survey report does not include a valuation, but a valuation is available upon request as an additional service. For more information please see our page on Valuations

Homebuyer Report

A Homebuyer is a standardised and concise document devised by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which concentrates on significant defects that may affect the value of a property. It is designed as an economic alternative to a Building Survey.

In order to reach a decision on whether to proceed with the purchase of a residential property, it is advisable to commission a survey to provide at least some information and advice in respect of the physical condition of the property. It may be that you are having a Mortgage Valuation carried out, but this is prepared only for the lender, and therefore should not be relied upon by any purchaser. A Mortgage Valuation only deals with general aspects of the property in relation to its security for your lender; it will not provide any detailed information on material defects that may exist, or major repairs that may be required to the property.

The Homebuyer Report is intended for houses and flats which appear to be in reasonable condition and are conventional in terms of construction, size and other aspects. It provides a focus on essential repairs that are urgent or significant or which may have a material effect on the value of the property. The report is generally cost lower than a Building Survey.

Building Survey or Homebuyer Report?

For further information on the differences between a Building Survey and a Homebuyer Report please refer to RICS Guide on Home Surveys.

pdf_icon Click to download

Building Surveys

Building Survey Report
Homebuyer Report